Founded in 2002, ArtWorks, The Naomi Cohain Foundation is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to improving the healthcare experience of pediatric patients through the arts. ArtWorks provides children and young adults starting from birth to age 24 facing chronic and life-limiting illnesses, and their families, access to creative and performing arts programs that serve as a vehicle for healing, communication, self-expression and personal development.
ArtWorks Programs Include:
- Teaching Artists Program invites Teaching Artists into the hospital setting to offer our Young Artists workshops and one-on-one sessions.
- Surprise!Supplies brings art supplies and craft kits to our Young Artists through specifically designed mobile art carts, providing opportunities to create throughout the day, especially for our Young Artists who are not able to leave their beds.
- Express Yourself is an annual creative and performing arts exhibition inviting our New York and New Jersey Young Artists to take part in a program of awe-inspiring performances and a gallery exhibition.
The Legacy of Naomi Cohain - Our Inspiration
Founded by Daniela Mendelsohn, ArtWorks is inspired by the life of her late cousin, Naomi Cohain. At the age of 14, Naomi was diagnosed with late stage Bone Cancer and found herself spending more and more time in the hospital setting.
Working closely with an art therapist, her creative moments became more significant and Naomi’s passion for the arts provided a vital emotional outlet and source of comfort throughout her illness. Naomi’s story lives on through ArtWorks, inspiring others and serving as a testament to the healing powers of the creative process.
- Laura LangleyExecutive Director
- Fran HeymanProgram Director
- David KaufthalBoard Chair, Founding Board Member
- Adam HirschTreasurer, Founding Board Member
- Daniela MendelsohnFounder, Ex-Officio
- Peter BrembergBoard Member
- Brianna ElefantBoard Member
- Duane LoftBoard Member
- Philip MichaelBoard Member
- Ofer YairBoard Member
- Ellen Goldring, ATR-BC, CCLS, LPCSupervisor of Child Life/Creative Arts Therapy Services / Joseph M. Sanzari Children's Hospital at Hackensack University Medical Center
- Dr. Michael Harris, pediatric hematologist-oncologistHackensack University Medical Center
- Meghan D. Kelly, MS, CCLSDirector of Child Life / Children’s Hospital at Montefiore
- Genevieve Lowry M.Ed, CEIM CCLSActing Director of the Child Life Program / Bank Street College of Education NY, NY
- Troy Pinkney-Ragsdale MA CCLSDirector of the Child Life Master’s Program / Bank Street College of Education
- Ria G. HawksRN, CPNP, ArtWorks Teaching Artist
- Frances ClementeMS, CCLS at Hassenfeld Children's Hospital at NYU Langone
- Sharon GranvilleMS, CCLS, CTRS, NCC, Manager of Child Life Services, at New York Presbyterian Hospital
- Cynthia Cohain
Mother of Naomi Cohain
- Dale HillIndependent Evaluation Consultant, Trustee, Partners for Development & Asherah Foundation
|Audited Financial Statements||Federal Form 990|
|2015||2015 990 Form|
|2016||2016 990 Form|
|2017||2017 990 Form|
|2018||2018 990 Form|